Tuesday, February 6, 2024

To Zwift or not to Zwift


Not too long ago, I logged into Strava and stumbled upon a striking comment beneath one of my recent rides: “It’s a stunning day outside. Why choose Zwift?” The words hit me with a pang of guilt. Indeed, the weather had been inviting. Instead of relishing the sunshine and the rhythmic sound of tyres on pavement, I found myself bathed in the artificial glow of my TV screen, accompanied by the constant whir of my indoor cycling setup.

Rather than engaging in casual banter with fellow riders or vying for victory at town line sprints, my time was spent collecting virtual accolades like “ride ons” and vying for digital jerseys. Yet, the somewhat unsettling truth behind my decision to opt for Zwift was simply that I didn’t feel like venturing outdoors. Admitting this feels daunting, almost as if it might result in my expulsion from the cycling community. But the reality is, there are moments when I find solace in Zwift—times when I secretly wish for stormy weather just to justify retreating into my personal pain cave. “Shame about the weather, guess I'll have to settle for the trainer,” I'd quip.

Like many, I used to dread indoor rides or runs. I recall countless evenings spent staring at the wall or fixating on the markings of my training space. While roller sessions did help refine my pedal stroke, it often felt like a laborious chore, especially considering the sweat-soaked aftermath resembling a salt mine.

Then came Zwift in 2014, answering my prayers for a video game that offered more than just entertainment—it offered fitness. Early on, I embarked on Zwift Island, now known as Watopia, racking up virtual achievements and inadvertently claiming KOMs thanks to my uncalibrated trainer. My time on Zwift was so extensive that it even took a toll on my bike's components. Instead of fixating on numbers, I found myself immersed in the thrill of chasing fellow riders and pushing through intervals effortlessly. Zwift racing became a genuine substitute for real-world competition, complete with adrenaline-pumping starts and strategic last laps, all meticulously tracked on Zwift Power.

Yet, my enthusiasm for Zwift isn’t without its reservations. There's often a twinge of FOMO (fear of missing out) as I scroll through social feeds post-session, witnessing others' outdoor adventures. I occasionally grapple with guilt, feeling as though I'm neglecting the essence of cycling by opting for the virtual realm. If we were to envision a hierarchy of cycling greatness, with conquering Mont Ventoux in adverse conditions at its apex, Zwift rides might linger somewhere near the base, perceived by purists as a lesser substitute.

However, I'm gradually shedding these concerns. While I cherish epic outdoor rides when time allows. The prospect of navigating through Rustenburg traffic just to access a decent route dampens the appeal. Instead, laps around the reservation, while scenic, have become repetitive. Since I'm already simulating my rides, why not embrace Zwift entirely?

Despite its virtual nature, Zwift demands genuine effort. I've logged higher power numbers indoors than during many outdoor excursions, all without the inherent risks of road cycling. Dodging traffic, potholes, and distracted pedestrians becomes a non-issue. Plus, the avoidance of pre-ride hassles like outfit selection or gear checks adds to its allure. In essence, Zwift offers a safe and efficient means of training, allowing me to maximize my time and effort without sacrificing enjoyment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To Zwift or not to Zwift

Not too long ago, I logged into Strava and stumbled upon a striking comment beneath one of my recent rides: “It’s a stunning day outside. Wh...